Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saskatoons


I love free food, so when it is growing on the trees in the river valley, it's time to grab a basket and get picking. We found lots of saskatoons growing, and with only a small amount of effort, gathered about two cups. More than enough berries to make these tasty treats:
Yes, I did make more than this, but they were eaten so quickly I couldn't get a photo in time :) The recipe was adapted from a recipe on Sprouted Kitchen . I did use frozen puff pastry dough, one day I'll attempt it from scratch...not today.

In anticipation of making something with berries, I made creme fraiche! I know it sounds ridiculously fancy, and snobby and I was intimidated until I saw how easy it is to make. 1cup whipping cream + 2 T buttermilk + 8to24 hours at room temperature. That's all there is to it. It tastes very good. (There should be no doubt that anything with whipping cream would not taste good.) I'm not completely sure how to use it now though. Eating it directly from the spoon is probably not the best option.

No comments:

Post a Comment