Saturday, May 08, 2010

I Love when this happens

Much to Steve's delight, one of my New Year's resolutions for 2010 was to perfect the cinnamon bun. I wanted to make cinnamon buns that would wow any baking grandma's socks off. You know the ones I mean. Light, fluffy, yeasty buns filled with sweet, cinnamon-y swirls.
So I practiced. I have succeeded in making cardboard textured buns, goopy underbaked buns, and buns that were missing the key ingredient - cinnamon. (It's embarrassing to admit, believe me).
It hasn't all been bad though. I'm learning a lot as I go, and have had expert advice along the way. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm hoping not to have to purchase any bread for the remainder of 2010. The effort required to bake with yeast is far outweighed by our house smelling like a bakery, and the flavour (and low cost) of the final products. Yum.
All this to say, I love it when my baking looks strikingly like the photo in the cookbook (Nigella Lawson, How to Be a Domestic Goddess). We will have to wait until brunch tomorrow to taste it, or else they will know.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:02 a.m.

    next step - gluten free cinnamon buns :-)

    Joel M-E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm much better at gluten free spring rolls...sorry :)

    ReplyDelete